Benefits of becoming a member
The Kelowna & District Genealogy Society membership year runs from September 1 to August 31.(Payments received in May and June will be applied to the next membership year.)
Let’s Talk Genealogy: Monthly Zoom meetings which are a forum for our members to ask questions and get the answers from our experts! These meetings are in-person during the summer months – held in a local park.
- Monthly meetings (September to June) via Zoom where you get to meet people who care about history and families. Each meeting has a genealogy-related topic and a guest speaker. Our December and June in-person socials are also a great place to learn from each other for your family research as we share our knowledge and expertise.
- Join one of our Special Interest Groups where members with similar research objectives meet for discussions via Zoom.
- Vote at the Annual General Meeting for the Executive — we are a volunteer-run organization.
- Receive our newsletter, The Okanagan Researcher: our quarterly newsletter is full of great articles and news. Members can post free queries. This newsletter is sent to libraries and genealogy societies throughout North America — who knows who will see your query or article?
- KDGS Website, Members-Only Pages: Our members have access to several videos from our Family History Forums and speakers plus other information.
- Reduced fees for conferences and workshops offered by KDGS
- Genealogy Journals and Newsletters: We subscribe to many journals and newsletters from across Canada and beyond. Most of these are now in digital format. Our members receive them all via email!
- Our genealogy grapevine keeps you abreast of all the latest family history news via email: DNA sales, free access to paid website events, genealogy presentations online, new genealogy databases and projects, etc.
- Obituary Project: Our ongoing obituaries for Central Okanagan persons offers digital copies of obituaries for free to members (non-members must pay $5 per obituaries)
- Let’s Talk Genealogy: Monthly Zoom meetings which are a forum for our members to ask questions and get the answers from our experts! These meetings are in-person during the summer months – held in a local park.